Sunday, February 5, 2012

La Mexicana Bakery y Taqueria

If you're near Alexandria, VA and you're looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant, you need to go to La Mexicana Bakery y Taqueria.  Its a little off the beaten path but its totally worth the drive.  Its a very humble place in the middle of a low-key shopping center off Rt 1.  The food is also very simple but man is it good!


Superking found this place a few months back and had heard really good reviews for it. He was in the area one day and stopped in for lunch.  He had tacos de lengua (beef tongue) and said they were really good and since it is also a bakery, he brought me home some of their cookies which were pretty good too.  But I was like, "you went on a food adventure without me?"  :(   "You have to take me there very soon!!"

breads...cinnamony and salty

So last week we were out and about and found ourselves looking for a place to have lunch.  Superking starts driving and says he wants to surprise me. I have no idea where we are or where we are going until he pulls into this kind of dumpy looking shopping center parking lot.  That may sound bad but I was excited, because yes, it may look a little dumpy on the outside but right in the middle of the shopping center was this shining gem called La Mexicana Bakery y Taqueria!!

brownies

cakes

I was little nervous but excited all the same to try these tongue tacos!! And as I waited for them, I explored their refrigerated cases full of cookies and pastries and cakes and breads all freshly made there! So pretty!

sweet rolls

cookies...very large cookies

And I also I tried a special drink called horchata.  Its a rice milk drink flavored with almond and lots of cinnamon!  It was really yummy and creamy, almost like a milkshake but not as thick.

can I take a swim in that?

Then the tacos come out...corn tortillas filled with small cubes of beef tongue slightly charred and crispy on the edges, fresh cilantro, diced onions, and a lime wedge on the side.  At first, I was thinking, "tacos without cheese?" But even as much as I love my cheese, these tacos certainly did not need it.  The meat was so flavorful and tender and since the other flavors were very light it allowed the beauty of the meat to really shine through. It was super delicious!!


a couple of hot sauces too
beautiful!

On the side was served some rice and refried beans which were also very simple yet delicious! And I couldn't resist taking home a big piece of tres leches cake!! I am such a chocolate peanut butter fiend but I seriously love a good piece of tres leches cake!! I even made my own once, which turned out not too bad.

some cherries on top



Anyway,  La Mexicana Bakery, te amo and your tacos de lengua! Can't wait to come back!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Donna,

    Thank you so much for the great review you gave us. I wanted to see if we may use your link on our facebook page to direct our customer to your blog?

    Thank you also for following us in Facebook. We also want to invite you give us a review on yelp if you have not yet done so. We welcome all reviews and love to hear from our customers about our food and service.

    We hope to see you again soon :-)

    Sincerely,
    La Mexicana

    ReplyDelete