Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Girl's Day Out

Last week was my mom's 60th birthday. Most women don't like to talk about their age but 60 is a big one and I think its worth celebrating. Especially for a lady as great as my mom. I knew we had to do something special so I planned a day out, just the two of us. I didn't even tell her what we were doing...just meet me at this place, at this time, and wear something comfy but nice.


First we both got mani/pedi's and were completely pampered. Then it was time to go to tea! There's a cute little British tea room in downtown Leesburg I knew she'd been wanting to try. Its called Aylesbury and its run by a British couple so it feels very authentic.

Its in a quaint old stone building tucked behind the iconic Mom's Apple Pie. Each little dining room is bright and cheery with dainty linens and vintage furniture and rustic hardwood floors. Our dining room even came complete with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge themselves!



We ordered the traditional Afternoon Tea and each got our own pot of deliciously brewed hot tea. My mom got peppermint and I got Earl Grey. It was served with milk (never cream, as is the British tradition) in individual tea pots and pretty little tea cups and saucers.



Then came the scones...oh I forgot to mention how the entire place smelled of these fresh baked scones from the moment you walked in the door!! And they did not disappoint...they were sweet and soft and warm, served with a thick devonshire cream and strawberry preserves. Then also four different kinds of tea sandwiches...smoked ham, cheese & tomato, cucumber, and egg salad. Some fresh fruit and then all the sweeties! A sugar cookie bar, chocolate chip cookies, and mini lemon cupcakes!


I had to find a bunny somewhere

You might think, all the food is so tiny and delicate, were you still hungry when you left?? Actually, you'd be surprised how much those tiny rich foods can fill you up quickly! All said and done, the food was delicious, the tea room itself was beautiful, and I had a great day celebrating my mom's birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment