Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cornbread Stuffing and Turkey Treats


For Thanksgiving this year, I got to make stuffing for the first time (other than StoveTop from a box).  I searched out many recipes until I found one that I liked at allrecipes.com called Best Ever Cornbread Stuffing.  Actually the recipe called for a pound of sausage but I left that part out. 

I made cornbread from a mix the night before and let it sit out over night to dry out a little. And actually it was honey cornbread so it had a little sweetness to it.  Then the next morning I cut it up into small chunks and combined it with potato bread soft bread cubes.  In a skillet set on medium heat, I sauteed one whole red onion chopped (there were many tears) and 2 cups of chopped celery with a little bit of butter for several minutes until the onions started to become crisp tender and slightly translucent.  Then I added about 2-3 teaspoons of freshly chopped sage. Nice fresh savory piney smell.
 To the bread cubes, I lightly mixed it with 1/4 cup of melted butter to moisten, then added the onion mixture as well.  In a separate bowl, I whisked together about 14 ounces of organic chicken broth and 2 eggs, then also poured that into the bread crumbs and gently mixed together.  The entire batch of bread crumb mixture went into a 9x13 baking dish and covered with foil.  Then into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, I removed the foil and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes to lightly brown the top.
 My whole family loved it!! This is definitely a "keeper-recipe".  If you want to check out the original recipe go to www.allrecipes.com and look up "Best Ever Sausage Cornbread Stuffing". 


I also made turkey rice krispie treats to give as gifts for a few friends and family.  They didn't turn out as nice as the ones in this picture and they were definitely a little bit of a challenge to put together.  Their recipe calls for peanut butter to attach the head to the body but in my family there are a few peanut allergies so I used chocolate frosting instead that was safe for them to eat.  They are very messy to make and to eat but they are a fun treat for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment