Monday, January 2, 2012

Windy City Red Hots

More hot dogs! This time from a food truck. And its not a DC food truck but a Loudoun County food truck.  The only Loudoun County food truck.  Its called Windy City Red Hots. They have an actual brick-and-mortar restaurant in Leesburg but the food truck came first and usually parks at the Bluemont Nursery located on Rt.7W just before you reach Ashburn Village Blvd.


We've passed it a million times and always say, "we need to stop in there sometime" but we're always on our way to somewhere else. Well one rainy day, I was by myself, on my way to Leesburg and it was right around lunch time.  I'm sitting at the stoplight and to my right I see the truck. Just sitting there all lonely in the rain.  It was calling out to me.  So I swung the car into the parking lot, pulled up the hood on my sweatshirt, and went over to order myself a Windy City Red Hot.

 I got a Maxwell Street Polish Combo.  An all beef polish sausage topped with mustard, grilled onions, sport peppers on a poppy seed bun.I had never heard of sport peppers before.  They were kinda small and skinny and looked dangerous to me. I had a couple bites.  Not unbearably hot but a few bites was all I could take. I'm kind of a spice wimp.  Superking would've liked them, probably even hotter.


The sausage was nice and juicy, the onions crunchy and the mustard and slight heat from the peppers all combined into a savory and tangy and very satisfying meal.

The combo came with fries and a drink. The fries were very freshly cut potatoes and fried right there on the spot.  I thought it was interesting that they don't salt their fries. They let the customer do that to their own liking.



They also offer Italian roast beef sandwiches, which look something like a traditional steak and cheese.  And also a pizza puff...its like a pizza pocket but the outside is a fried tortilla and the filling is Italian sausage, pizza sauce, and mozarella cheese. Looks yummy! Next time though, I'll have to take Superking and try one of their famous Red Hots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment