Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Lulu's Cafe and Donuts

We had some very nice weather in Myrtle, still warm but not hot with the perfect breeze! We decided to take advantage of this gorgeous weather and do some outdoor activities we wouldn't normally get to do because it would normally be too hot. One thing I'd been wanting to do for the last several years is visit Brookgreen Gardens.  It is a lovely place with sculpture and botanical gardens, as well as a wildlife preserve. It is a combination of art, history, and a zoo!










Before we headed to the gardens, we needed breakfast! Lulu's Cafe is one of our standby's we like to visit in Myrtle.  We had recently heard they were opening their own donut shop separate from the restaurant. But when we located the donut shop, it was closed! Unfortunately they were closed because they were about to move to a different location. That meant no Lulu donuts for us.  :(  But we did get a chance to meet Lulu, herself. Very cute and friendly lady! She reassured us that Lulu's Donuts weren't going anywhere, they just needed time to find a better location. I hope she has good luck with that so we can try their delicious donuts next year!



So we headed to their cafe instead.  Lulu's has the perfect mix of Southern cuisine and 1950s diner. We split a meal...two fried eggs on a biscuit with bacon and sausage gravy with grits on the side.  Biscuits and gravy is one of my favorite breakfasts! And this place does it right. Simple, but delicious. Complete with a glass of fresh orange juice and a good cup of hot coffee.




It was so good, in fact, that we went there again later in the week. This time hubby got a stack of hot pancakes.  Delicious, sweet, and fluffy!


I had two eggs over-easy (one of my new favorite ways to eat eggs when I'm out. I haven't quite learned how to make them at home though so I usually eat scrambled. Boring, I know, but easy to cook without messing up) and a side of corned beef hash.  I love corned beef hash because its kinda salty, a little meaty, and the perfect side dish for mixing with the runny egg yolk. It also reminds me of my childhood, when my dad would take me camping. After spending the night in the tent, we'd wake up in the morning and crank up the camp stove and heat up some corned beef hash and bacon!



Even Pablo loved it! He gave Lulu's 3.5 ants!

No comments:

Post a Comment