Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Running, Sewing, and Hot Stuff

Yes, I'm still here. I apologize its been over a week since I've blogged. But I've had good reason.  Theres been a lot going on.  And not all of it is related to food.

me and sister-in-law Gwen after the race all tired and sweaty

First of all, I just ran my first 10K race this past Sunday.  It was in Leesburg VA (a 10K/20K)and it was a great route through a little bit of the countryside part of Leesburg.  It was hard though. I trained for ten weeks and at times wondered how in the world was I supposed to run 6.2 miles.  I'm more of a walker/runner though so the walking helped break it up a bit.  The weather was great for an August run, starting at 7:30am, it was cloudy, not too hot or humid, and we even had a little rain which was cool and refreshing in the middle of the race! 

Gwen and Superking waiting for Matt to finish 20k

here comes Matt!

At home, I had been averaging about 15 minute miles and figured I could complete the 10K in about an hour and a half. In the actual race, I ended up doing about 13 minute miles (the first mile I even finished in 12:50) and completed the race in 1 hour, 22 minutes. I was very happy with those times!  I couldn't walk the next day because my hips and muscles were sore, but it was worth it! It was hard work but it was such a great feeling of accomplishment when it was done! It was also nice being able to run with my brother-in-law, Matt (who did the 20K part), his wife Gwen, and Gwen's sister, Erin.

even an 86 year old WWII vet finished the 10k carrying an American flag!!

The second big thing going on with me right now is that my sister-in-law Gwen and I have been trying to start our own crafting business, called Gray Kitty Boutique (check out our facebook page...).  We began our shop on Etsy earlier this year and now that fall is around the corner we're going to try our hand at some local craft shows.  So I'm sewing like crazy and trying to learn some business stuff too that will help promote our business.



here's a reversible beach bag I made using some fabric and a shower curtain!

heres the reversed side!

and an apron with a cute recipe print




So I haven't had many food adventures recently or much time for blogging but I've got a few food stories on the horizon that I can't wait to share with you. Before I go, I will leave you with a few food photos to hold you over till the next blog post...

Hot Stuff...
remember these ghost peppers we got from the farmers market?

like the hottest pepper ever

Superking about to eat one...

Don't make me do it!!

Danger!! Toxic!!

Better on a pizza with cheese and red onion

Cooking the pepper and having it with cheese and other flavors does help lessen the heat to some degree

but just in case, here's a bottle of milk for emergencies!

taking the first bite...

not as hot as expected but hot enough to need the milk!

Don't try this at home!! This stunt is only for professionals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment