Thursday, September 15, 2011

Real Southern Barbecue

So after our failed attempts to get bbq twice from this so-called "bbq festival" in Myrtle Beach, we had a hankering for bbq but didn't know where to go. Thankfully I had just installed two free foodie apps on my iphone...Yelp and UrbanSpoon...that could help us out.


Based solely on the many glowing reviews we read, we set out on a journey to find this place simply called the Bar-B-Q House. They claimed to be the best bar-b-q on the beach. Hmm, that remains to be seen.  This place could be a total dump for all we know! But thats the risk you take on a food adventure.  So off we went!


Its certainly nothing fancy on the outside.  It looked just like any other run-of-the-mill fast food type joint.  And the inside wasn't much to speak of either but it was clean and comfortable. We took our seat and a friendly young Southern girl (complete with a cute little Southern accent), comes to greet us and take our drink orders.  Being in the south I have to order sweet tea which I love. Superking orders an UN-sweet tea at which everyone in the closest vicinity gives us strange and dirty looks because everyone knows there is only sweet tea in the south and anything less than that is blasphemy.  The drinks come in very unassuming styrofoam cups.


We order our entrees.  I go for the bbq smoked chicken plate.  Its a 1/4 chicken, smoked and covered with a sweet smoky bbq sauce.  It comes with hush puppies served with cinnamon butter and two sides...I chose baked beans and sweet potato fries.  I love the sweet bbq sauce and the chicken was just melt-in-your-mouth right off the bone.  The hush puppies were crisp on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. And cinnamon butter...oh, it doesn't get much better than that! I even dipped a few of my sweet potato fries in it. Yumm!

mmm, cinnamon butter!

Superking ordered the Big Daddy plate.  I love the name. Hilarious.  You get a choice of two meats.  Superking went with ribs and fried chicken. They specify that we will have to wait about 25 minutes for the fried chicken because they fry it up fresh as you order it! Superking wants to wait. And the wait was worth it! Perfectly crispy fried with juicy tender meat inside! There were also hush puppies, fried okra, and onion rings.  Even the fried okra was really delicious!


They even had available on the table four different house-made sauces to try.  Eastern...a blend of vinegar, red peppers, and spices.  South Carolina Mustard Sauce...traditional and tangy.  Lexington...a tomato-based sauce with vinegar and spices.  Their special House sauce...a traditional bbq sauce thats thick and sweet with a hint of spice.  We tried them all. They were all yummy on everything. Perfect to suit anyone's tastes.


I don't think there was one thing on our plates that wasn't fried! Except my baked beans I guess.  But by the end, everything was gone! Very simple atmosphere, very simple presentation (paper plates, plastic forks), but great great food! I have to say I think they really lived up to their claim of best bbq on the beach! I know I'd like to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment