Thursday, July 21, 2011

DC Weekend 2011: Part Three

Truckeroo.

This was probably my favorite food adventure of the weekend. I was almost giddy with excitement as I walked into Truckeroo.  For those of you who may not know, the food truck scene is big in DC and is ever-growing.  Food trucks nowadays are no longer the disgusting roach coaches they used to be. Those still exist but are more in the form of hot dog carts and such. Food trucks are becoming quite gourmet, to a point where a lot of brick-and-mortar restaurants are feeling a little threatened and are doing whatever they can to get rid of the food trucks. But if Truckeroo is any indication as to the growing popularity of food trucks, they're not going anywhere any time soon.

not too crowded for lunch...

theres the lobster pound!!

Big Cheese: specialty grilled cheese sandwiches

Truckeroo is an event where once a month between June and October, about 20-30 food trucks all gather in one location and basically have a big food truck party, live music included. 
Curbside Cupcakes

DC Empanadas

It. Was. Awesome.
some kind of tropical food truck; didnt get the name

Cap Mac does mac'n cheese

Dangerously Delicious Pies

They set up around 11am and stay all day and night until about 11pm or until the food runs out.  We went for lunch and met my dad who works nearby in DC.  We hit the Lobster Pound, which I've blogged about before, and got ourselves a couple Lobster rolls. Superking opted for the Connecticut style (melted butter) and I and my dad opted for the traditional Maine style (mayo). It was still super yummy and I certainly wouldn't turn it down but I think I like the buttered one better.



While Superking waited in one line, I hopped over to the Sauca truck (globally inspired cuisine) and ordered a Pork Banh Mi. Its a griddled flatbread stuffed with Vietnamese pork, pickled veggies, and peanut and Thai coconut sauces. It was great, sweet, tangy, spicy, yumm. Although the guy running the truck told me their best seller is the Mumbai Butter Chicken. I'll have to try that next time.




Superking went for the BBQ Bus.  Obviously they serve barbecue sandwiches.  We got the traditional pulled pork bbq...slow roasted smokey pork on a cornmeal-dusted kaiser roll with crunchy slaw and pickled red onion and a smokey sweet bbq sauce.  Nothing particularly unique or outstanding but a great pork sandwich nonetheless.



After all that I needed a sweet treat and headed over to Pleasant Pops, a truck that makes popsicles using local, organic, seasonal ingredients.  They had flavors such as Peach Mint Iced Tea and Strawberry Ginger Lemonade.  I went for the Peaches and Ginger flavor. Both flavors were very prevalent and you could tell they were fresh. Very yummy!





To be continued for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment