Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

Express your love to family and friends with some delicious Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting!!  These are super YummaYumma when made with fresh strawberries! Everyone will love you for them!

I made these over the weekend for a church potluck meeting and everyone raved about them! It is a Paula Deen recipe (sorry for all you Paula fans out there, but I really don't care much for her (thats for another blog post) but I have to admit she does have some pretty awesome dessert recipes). I saw this one in a magazine that my sister-in-law, Heather had (who is a huge Paula fan) and knew I had to make these!


And I was excited to be able to use my new food processor (finally)! My mom had gotten me this really nice food processor for my birthday back in October.  Yes, October, and I'm just now using it for the first time! So sad, I know :(  But I was a little nervous and hesitant to use it.  I had never used one before and wasn't really sure how to use it or what I needed to use it for! So here was my perfect opportunity. And I'm so glad I finally took the leap!

It made this beautiful strawberry puree needed for the cupcake batter and frosting. And these cupcakes are enough to make anyone's heart go pitter-pat! The frosting, all you need is a spoon really! But it is nice on the cupcakes too! :)

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
(From Paula Deen)

Side Note: This is the original recipe from Paula Deen. It it supposed to make 12 JUMBO cupcakes, which I didn't notice until after I bought the ingredients and starting making them.  I made MINI cupcakes and there were almost 100 of them! So be aware of your measurments!
mni cuppycakes going in the oven!

Ingredients:
1 cup butter softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups pureed fresh or frozen strawberries (I used fresh ones, it took about 1 1/2 pounds of strawberries for batter and frosting)
3/4 cups sour cream
2 teaspoons strawberry extract
3 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Extra strawberries for garnish

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter softened
1 (8oz) package cream cheese softened
1/4 cup pureed fresh strawberries
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
6 cups confectioners sugar
preparing the pan and liners

Directions:
(Donna note: To make the strawberry puree, simply slice tops off strawberries, cut strawberries into chunks if you like, and put in food processor.  Chop or pulse until liquidy. Set aside.)




Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pans with paper liners  In large bowl, beat butter and suagr and medium speed in mixer until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in strawberry puree, sour cream, and strawberry extract.
butter, sugar, eggs
now add sour cream, strawberry puree and extract

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Gradually add to butter mixture beating just until combined.  Spoon batter evenly into prepared cupcake pans. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  (Donna Note: For the mini cupcakes, it only needed about 14-15 minutes in the oven)  Let cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

so many little cupcakes!

For frosting:  In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with mixer until creamy.  Add strawberry puree and extract, beating until combined.  Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until smooth.  (Another Donna Note: My frosting came out fairly liquidy.  I added a little extra confectioners sugar and put it in the fridge for a few minutes to let it thicken a little but it was never as stiff as most other frosting.  Probably due to the high water content in strawberries.)
Yummy
Beautiful

Perfection

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the food processor! {I have the same one!!!!} :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I am so making this. I am huge Paula Deen fan love her recipes. I just bought fresh strawberries yesterday. SO excited.

    ReplyDelete